Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Country.

It has finally snowed in Germany and it reminds me so much of Canada. It's not as cold as Montreal for example, but it's just as beautiful. I love the fresh, crisp white carpet of snow on the ground and the fluffy delicate snowflakes that fall, especially at night. There's just something magical about the winter and snow...

But what I love the most so far, are the Christmas Markets or 'Weihnnachtsmarkt' in Germany. Christmas is such a wonderful part of the German culture filled with festivities, traditional food and drinks all in good company. I absolutely love their hot sweet wine called 'Glühwein' that warms you up from the inside when you're standing in the cold waiting for your mini warm fluffy pancake-like pastries with butter and powdered sugar called "Poffertjes' which are just heavenly. One cannot forget the fresh sweet or salty crepes, german sausauges 'Bratwurst' and potatoes covered in your favorite sauce. And although I'm not a fan of mushrooms, I have to admit, smelling them sauteed in garlic sauce makes my mouth water! I pass by all of the food kiosks and have to selectively decide which kiosk to visit because there's only so much that I can eat!!!

But I think that the best thing about Weihnnachtsmarkt is the spirit, energy, and company that people share with friends and family. The religious aspect of Christmas is also still very much alive with choirs and bible story skits in the local churches that also reminds us of what Christmas is all about. I wish that I could be in Canada to spend this time with my family and friends, or that you could all be here with me, but I'm very thankful that I have met really great people already here in Göttingen. There is always so much to do at work during the week that I sometimes forget that I'm also here to enjoy my time, live and learn about the culture.
Last year, after my trip in Europe, my wish was to experience Christmas in Germany. My wish will be able to come true, and not only will I be in Germany during this time, but will also spend the holidays with a German family! After that, I'll be able to finally visit Paris and spend New Years Eve there, although I heard that Paris isn't a very eventful during that time. But it really doesn't matter to me, as long as I can explore the city before going back to work in the new year.
I miss everybody back home and hope that you are all doing well! Happy holidays! With love, erin.

No comments:

Post a Comment