Monday, September 20, 2010

Heidiland!

I have to admit that I sort of wished that I was called Heidi, running around in an alpine skirt with cattle, goats and sheep, making my own cheese in the swiss alps... I didn't do any of these things but I came a little close to it. At least I think so! We went on a hike on 'Haldenberg' which is about an hour from Zurich. It was a delightful and magnificent day trip. The train ride was absolutely breathtaking. The pictures I took does not do justice, but I tried to capture a crystal green lake surrounded by sky-scraping mountains and farms.

The hike on Haldenberg was approximately 1000 metres high, and lasted about 5 hours. If it wasn't for my knee and ankles acting up, we probably could have done it faster. The weather was simply radiant and I saw so much including 'Alm', which is a mountain farm/pasture with cattles and their bells ringing, goats, sheep, hidden waterfalls, fresh mountain spring water, and of course, a remarkable view from the top of the swiss alps.

I think what I loved about this trip was that, everything that we did and enjoyed was from nature. I loved what I saw, heard, smelled and even tasted, like the fresh spring water! It costed nothing (with a Eurail pass) to get to the nearby city for the hike, we packed some bread, cheese and meat to eat with water and an apple for desert, sat in the sun when we were cold, depended on the shade for some coolness... all of this just from hiking in the mountains with our feet!

That's what I call a fun day! It's sad to think how much money we use in our spare time when we live in the city: I myself am guilty of that often, so these days, I am really enjoying God's beauty in nature around me! I just can't get enough of it...

I hope you have a little idea of what I experienced on this day trip! If any of you are heading to Switzerland anytime soon, hit up a hike in the alps, and you'll never forget it! Next stop... Zurich city!

erin.

erin.

No comments:

Post a Comment