Monday, September 27, 2010

Zurich City: a glamourous one.

Hello everybody,

I'm sorry I haven't written in a while. I just caught a nasty cold and it has been too hectic around here! I am actually not in Zurich at the moment, but just wanted to take a few lines to share my thoughts about this wonderful but expensive city!

Yes, it's a pricey one. Switzerland in general is quite pricey, however the residents here to earn a lot more money than the foreigners. Thank goodness I have someone to mooch off of...
Consumption and goods are what cost the most. I would say they are just a little over double the price, so your money runs out fast! I.e. Burger King combo is about 15-17 Francs. Services, on the other hand are reasonable i.e. Boat tours, swimming docks, transportation, etc.

Since my swiss host here is quite busy with his work, I was able to take the time off to explore the city myself. I visited a very famous café called Le Péclard which won first prize for best café in Switzerland last year, and they are well known for their hot chocolate. But their cakes and macaroons are also divine. I interviewed them for a blogsite that I'm writing for (www.thepaperwhale.com/blog) and they actually gave me an Apfelstrdel on the house and it was delicious! Plus, the café itself is eye candy because of their antique and modern design. Check it out if you have time to drop by in Zurich!


I also took a lovely boat tour on Lake Zurich (only 4 Francs with a transit all day pass) which I was looking forward to since I was planning my trip in Canada and it was just glorious! I ended up stopping in a cute little town called Küsnacht and went for a spontaneous dip in the lake. I had no bathing suit and no towel, and totally had to depend on the sun and the warm grass to dry me up. When I got back into the city, I noticed such an elegance to it with their shimmering night lights, warm sunsets, not to mention that the border along the fresh water lake Zurich at Bellevue is packed with people to enjoy the last few summer nights! It's actually quite romantic...The water is so clean and fresh too! All over the city, you can find fountains to drink from... great way to stop by for some water.


On some of my last days, I did some window shopping and went for a quick dip in the public bath/swimming area too. It was about 21 degrees celsius and the water was about 11, so it was pretty cold, but summer is over which encouraged me to go swimming in the lake anyway. Europeans also love sun bathing, especially sunbathing topless for the women. That was also an interesting experience, and it really didn't feel weird. I think the environment was right for the situation...

Anyways, my cold is calling me to bed. I have arrived safely in Göttingen and will let you know what the city is like and my work situation as well!

Bis bald,
erin.

No comments:

Post a Comment